[ts-ann] shim-070529 announced

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Tue May 29 17:07:21 EDT 2007

We announce shim-070529, which runs with the currently
shipping (upstream) TWS:
 	Build 872.6, May 18, 2007 10:47:41 AM
and some earlier versions as well.  We note that IB has its
first conference call as a publicly traded company shortly,
and so we issue this release to commemorate the occasion.

As we were putting the finishing touches on the release last
Friday, I noticed that it would not work with IB's latest TWS.
NEWS addreses the matter a bit more.

As mentioned in my April 17 post here, we are have been in
flat out documentation mode, and the PDF under Bill's
authorship is coming along nicely.  Along the way, as I
mentioned in the -general list, we restored Debian shim builds
as well.  Documentation builds on Debian will lag a bit ...

If you do not already have it, adding Ruby, and Latex
capabilities to your system will be needed, both to build the
documentation, and going forward in the 'make test' and
development tools.  Please ask if you need help.

I notice that there is some diffence between the Latex as
shipped by CentOS and Debian, and documentation rebuilding on
Debina may lag, as fixing it there i snot so important to us
as some other matters in our workplan -- but patches sent to
the -general mailing list will be gladly read ;)

The new CentOS release 5, and the Debian testing box, duly
updated, all seem happy with the release here, as well as our
baseline CentOS 4 -- we will be moving to the later CentOS
release, as no major 'nits' have emerged; pdksh is gone, but
this provides a chance to explore a cut to Ruby for the
scripting shell for 'make test' and friends.

On the Quantian (a Debian variant) box just now:

May 29 17:57:06 quantian : 10344|64623|   1035190|4|100| 5|#
 	|4|100|5|****************|
May 29 17:57:06 quantian : 10344|64623|   1035232|4|100| 5|#
 	|4|100|5|0.31|070529|data|
May 29 17:57:06 quantian : 10344|64623|   1035255|4|100| 5|#
 	|4|100|5|****************|
May 29 17:57:06 quantian : 10344|64623|   1038914|3| 9| 1|1|
May 29 17:57:06 quantian : 10344|64626|   3936604|3| 4| 2|
 	-1|2104|Market data farm connection is OK:usfarm|
May 29 17:57:06 quantian : 10344|64626|   3937112|3| 4| 2|
 	-1|2104|Market data farm connection is OK:usfuture|
May 29 17:57:06 quantian : 10344|64626|   3937582|3| 4| 2|
 	-1|2106|HMDS data farm connection is OK:ushmds2a|
May 29 17:57:06 quantian : 10344|64626|   3938069|2| 7|
 	0|quit;|

New matter since my last post are:

date: Tue May 29 2007
date: Fri May 25 2007
date: Fri May 18 2007
date: Thu May 17 2007
date: Tue May 15 2007
date: Mon May 14 2007
date: Fri May 11 2007
date: Fri May  4 2007

     * modify shim to work with tws 872.6, which includes a forced upgrade
       to accept new, higher version status and portfolio messages.  The
       regression tests for these seem to work, although I'm hoping for a
       new set of api sources soon, so that I can check exactly what IB is
       doing to the wire format for these messages.  The version update must
       refer to some change in the api, I just don't know what at this point.
       You'll probably find that you have to follow along on this change, sorry
     * by the way, the reason the tarball has jumped so in size is mostly
       due to inclusion of the latex2html output, so that now you have both
       the pdf and html documentation
     * more work on manual; chapters 1 and 2 have reached final draft status;
       also, now I can get back to coding the shim; hopefully, I can balance
       coding with documentation for awhile
     * more work on manual; see Table 1.1 in order to track added work
     * fix template istantation problems via code inlining.  The code
       already compiled fine on Centos, and now does fine on Debian as well:
           g++ (GCC) 3.4.6 20060404 (Red Hat 3.4.6-3)
           g++ (GCC) 4.1.2 20061115 (prerelease) (Debian 4.1.1-21)
     * include online docs in tarball (latex2html output of manual.tex);
       they are also available at
 	http://www.trading-shim.org/doc/
     * modify setup.sql script to set utf8 as the default table encoding
     * modify release packaging to preserve sym links, which is useful
       for a number of reasons, including more up-to-date docs, but
       which may be disconcerting to some long time users who are used
       to the previous layout.  The sym links currently are:
           src/bin     ->    ../bin
           doc/hdr/*.h -> ../../src/*.h
     * insert new chapter 6 about protocol record formats into manual
     * the program name (shim), mode (data or risk), and version prefix
       have been dropped from the output log file format, removing three
       fields from system log lines and the ShimText log file, and the
       attribute counts in bin/log.filter have been modified accordingly.
     * the version banner has been modified from, e.g.:
         4|100| 5|# |4|100|5|*******************|
         4|100| 5|# |4|100|5|version|0.30|999999|
         4|100| 5|# |4|100|5|*******************|
       to:
         4|100| 5|# |4|100|5|****************|
         4|100| 5|# |4|100|5|0.31|999999|data|
         4|100| 5|# |4|100|5|****************|
     * modify scanners to allow multibyte characters to pass through as text
     * include documentation.  NOTE: it is --- and by its nature will
       continue to be for quite a while --- an *incomplete draft*.  There
       is much more writing to be done, and continued changes to the code
       needed to reflect the specs as they are documented.  You will
       need the latex2html and graphviz packages to build the docs on your
       own, but a pdf is included as well.
     * many internal changes, including many partially completed features,
       so source diffs may be hard to follow at this point; the docs are
       the main reason for the release.

And post February 21:

date: Wed Feb 28 2007
date: Tue Feb 27 2007
date: Mon Feb 26 2007

     * revise singletree construction to eliminate shared edge to Timer,
       and modify singletree inclusion hierarchy doc (singles.dot) accordingly
     * add explanation of naming conventions, in "name_rules.h"
     * verify, via regression tests, that shim runs against TWS 867.4

As always, the latest tarball is at
 	ftp://ftp.trading-shim.org/pub/local/trading-shim/
and prior releases in the ./attic/

As always, we thank you for your interest; we welcome feedback
and comment.

-- The trading-shim team