[ts-ann] Welcome to new subscribers - a rough project guide

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Wed Mar 5 10:46:31 EST 2008

We have picked up a few new subscribers to the trading shim
general mailing list in recent days.  I have been discussing
the trading shim 'en passant' on a couple of the mailing lists
which are culled to provide content for Victor Niederhoffer's
"Daily Speculations" website:
 	http://www.dailyspeculations.com/

and of course Freshmeat pushed an email notice of the 29 Feb
'Leap day' release we pushed.

I wanted to take a moment, and send the list a glimpse 'behind
the curtain' so to speak, for a "New Users's Guide to
Approaching the 'trading shim'" on 'procedural' matters.

We did not have a chance to test 080229 against live market
feeds that Friday, and I know Bill pushed a bit of a
correction in how the 'wild' command selects SecType's
yesterday.  I just updated the version and Freshmeat download
URL, but 'hid' it from the front page of Freshmeat.  I think
of and refer to those interim releases which I do not feature
to the 'ts-announce' mailing list as 'slipstreammed' updates.

For those new to the 'shim', as we call it in house, the
places where the latest news appear first is always:
     http://www.trading-shim.org/capitals/?NEWS

In that file, there is a running 'stanza' with sequential
dates, listing external versions along the way, and a bit of a
journal of what has changed, and is or is not properly working
in each.  The mention of an issue there is a pretty good
indication that we know of and are working on it.  ;)  Then
when a stanza's goals are met against our internal release
planning, we close the stanza and start a new one;  I tend to
announce those stanza closes as "Major feature enhancements"
to Freshmeat.  Within a series, I use lesser Freshmeat
categories:  Minor, and bugfix, occasionally documentation

Every bit of the website is present for a reason, and we
encourage at least scanning it all to get a feel where answers
may lay.  Places of special interest are the FAQ,
 	http://www.trading-shim.org/faq/

which, in part, addresses all setup issues which we have seen
reported, either on the mailing list, or privately; I
also maintain a bit of a link farm to related projects,
both FOSS and closed code at:
 	http://www.trading-shim.org/faq/?other-voices

There is a flat site map at:
 	http://www.trading-shim.org/map/

which was written to assist Google in crawling the site well.
This means one gets good and current results in the search box
at:
 	http://www.trading-shim.org/search/

We welcome questions, preferably on this mailing list, but
private communication will be answered as appropriate.  We do
sell commercial support contracts of course, but try to pass
the knowledge we share there back to the community project
side as well.  To the extent that it does not violate client
confidentiality, we often 'anonymize' interesting private
email and repeat the context of the inquiry and our answer
into this mailing list:
 	http://www.trading-shim.org/pipermail/ts-general/

Private client instances of the bug tracker are available in
addition to the open one for the project:
 	http://www.trading-shim.org/bugs/

I periodically go through and weed bugs which are resolved,
and update lingering ones.  I come from a sysadmin, tactical
problem-solver background, and so this seems natural to me.

Bill's approach to workflow is more systematic and
traditional, being based in part on a .plan file, 'test-driven
development', and proceeding in an efficient path along to our
release goals.

Either one of us might respond to a list email, and indeed, we
have had both our views appear from time to time, on the list.
As noted, we have formal planning and synchronization of
effort meetings at regular intervals.

As always, the latest tarball is at
          ftp://ftp.trading-shim.org/pub/local/trading-shim/
and prior releases in the ./attic/

I hope this little overview is useful, and invite old and new
subscribers alike to post more, to share successes, and ask
about 'sticky points' here.  that way, we can all learn more
on how the shim is being used and how others have overcome
those stick points when getting started.  Of course the
emergence of a formal co-developer is also hoped for by us as
well.

We thank you for your interest; we welcome feedback,
questions, constructive criticism, and comment.  Please
consider joining in the fun publicly.

-- Russ herrold
 	614 488 6954